Monday, April 02, 2007

Plum good

I bought a bag of plums at Sam's Club last week . They turned out to be more ripe than I thought. I realized that they were going to go bad and as part of my new effort to find a ways to avoid waste in our food budget I realized that I needed to do something with them. I decided to cook them into a sauce. I don't have any Sure-Jel on hand so I couldn't make jelly. I used : 2 1/2 c. sliced plums, 1 Tab lemon juice, 1/2 cup water ( I think grape or apple juice would be good) and 3/4 cup sugar. I brought them to a boil, lowered heat to medium and cooked until the fruit was cooked through and the liquid thickened. I ended up with a great sauce that we used over French toast. It thickened after it was refrigerated and works great on toast. I can't wait to try it on some hot buttered biscuits. Oh, and if your not from the South, you might not get the title. Plum is used sometimes as a adjective that means really or completely. It's not bad grammar, I promise.

1 comment:

Sonny said...

YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL PEOPLE TO LOOK FOR SOUTHERN SLANG ON THE NET THERE ARE A COUPLE OF REALLY GOOD SITES THAT TRANSLATE OUR LANGUAGE TO THEIRS.ALOT OF WHAT WE SAY ISN'T BAD GRAMMAR JUST OLD.YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO SOME OF THE LITTLE OL' LADIES DOWN HERE IN SOUTH ALABAMA.IT'LL MAKE YOU REALIZE JUST HOW MUCH YOU MISS GRANNIE.
LOVE YA,
SONYA(LITTLE SIS)