Friday, April 06, 2007

Frugal Fridays

I want to share a soup recipe that I use as an appetizer. I've found by serving an appetizer with meals has advantages. For one it helps me to control my hunger and not over eat at meals which is always a good thing if you are trying to lose weight, also there isn't the need for as large servings of the main dish if we start with an appetizer. My kids were always more receptive to new foods or veggies if served as an appetizer so it is a good way to get more vegetables into kids.

A very easy soup that I make takes only minutes to prepare and can cook while you finish the last minute dinner preparations. I start with enough chicken or beef stock for about a 1 1/2 cup serving per person. I grate a carrot, chop some onion and add to the stock and bring to a boil. I throw in what ever leftover veggies I have that will go well together, if I have fresh spinach I might use that. Any veggies you like, maybe some leftover noodles if you have them, whatever you think would be good. I might add a couple of sliced mushrooms if I have them. Season with some garlic, salt and pepper. I let it cook on medium for about 10-15 minutes and serve up with a few sprinkles of grated cheese.

Fast, easy and inexpensive if you use mostly leftovers.

No comments: