Thursday, June 07, 2007

Recipe: Tennessee Caviar

This is a great recipe that I love to take to any gathering. I think it has several names including Texas Caviar. It is great served with tortilla chips or on Ritz crackers. It doubles very well and serves a large crowd when you do. BTW, incase you don't know,that is black-eyed peas in the pic, not Tennessee Caviar. I'll post a pic of the finished product when I can.

Tennessee Caviar.

2 cans black-eyed peas, drained.

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

(I have used 1 1/2 cup frozen corn, cooked and drained).

1 can diced tomatoes, drained

1 whole red onion (small), diced

1 whole green pepper (small), chopped

1 small can chopped black olives

3/4 cup cider vinegar

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Salt to taste

In a small saucepan over low heat, combine oil, sugar and vinegar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour liquid over and stir well.

This is best chilled overnight. Serve with tortilla chips or Ritz crackers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...sounds great! I have never tried this before.

Love your flowery background.