Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Old Habits Die Hard.

My post about the junk food got me to thinking about habit. I think most of us are creatures of habit. My DH habitually thinks that sweets are a reward and a comfort food. Celebration of an event in our lives automatically involves food in his mind. It made me start examining my own habits. It is more difficult for me to see my own bad habits. I'm not blind to them entirely, but they are more difficult to see clearly.

My goal over the next few months is to make a more thorough examination of the way I do things and why I do them that way. I intend to examine all areas of my life and try to break as many bad habits as I can. This is gonna take some time folks! I may post about some that I think are relevant to others here. Don't expect any deep dark revelations! I'm not going to embarrass myself. By putting this out here it gives me incentive to keep busy at it. I don't like New Years resolutions so I don't make them, so this can be my goals for this year. Hopefully I'll make some progress.

I just want to say one thing before I get started...My goal is not perfection. It is improvement. Without stepping on any toes I need to say that my family and I came out of a religious organization where ultimately perfection in everything you do is the goal. The ideal to strive for. There were constant lessons and talks given on striving for perfection. The one thing I learned is there is no peace in that because there can be no perfection.

I won't say that I'm sorry I was ever involved, but I will say I'm grateful to be out. I'm saying this because I have extended family that occasionally reads this blog and I may say somethings that possibly will offend them. I don't want them to take it personally. But there are issues that I still deal with and this is my blog. I need to talk about things that affect me. There are some of you reading this who will not understand what the previous paragraph has to do with anything. All I can say is...then it wasn't written for you. Don't worry about it. There will be those who do understand.

They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. That gives me a basis to work with.

No comments: