Friday, November 09, 2007

Remember When: The Osmonds

I switched on Oprah this afternoon and found an all Osmond hour. It seems that they are celebrating 50 years in show business. There was an audience full of their families.

Regardless of what you think of the Osmonds it really is amazing that they have all turned out to be as normal as they are. They all have beautiful families and seem to all get along.

Earlier this week their father passed away and they buried him today.

All this brought back memories for me of the 70's. I was an Osmond fan and I got to meet them in 1975. All the news about them made me look through my old pictures until I found pics from those days and thought I would share a few.

Mrs. Osmond was a truly kind person. She treated me and my friend like we were her own kids. She reminded us not to stay up too late, to eat well and to call our moms.

One of the highlights of meeting them was having Alan sing "Carrie, Carry me Through" to me in an elevator. It is so sad that he has MS now. He seems to be handling it well and has a great deal of support from his wife and kids.

Merrill was married by then and missing his wife Mary. They collected Tea cups and he bought some in a local antique store to take back to her.

Donny was much shorter than I expected. I am 6 ft and I was disappointed he was such a little guy. He was warming up his voice at the hotel, I guess it was before the concert, and I was shocked how strong his voice was. I had never heard a professional singer up close with no microphone. It was amazing.

Jay was my favorite and I was pretty nervous around him. He was a cutie back then and a great drummer.

I have some pictures with Marie and Wayne somewhere. I just can't find them right now.

The Osmonds were the first celebrities that I ever met and I have to say some of the nicest. They set a good example for young people unlike many of the popular singers today.

Their father was very much in charge of things and really took care of business and his family. He was a no nonsense kind of guy but you could tell he really loved them, especially Mrs. Osmond. May they both rest in peace.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I love this post. I love the pictures. You look like a super model. So...we need to know how you met them. I saw the show today also and had no idea about the 2 brothers who are deaf.

Carrie J said...

Thanks for the compliment. It was many years ago. Now I look like I ate a super model! LOL. The first time I went to their concert with a friend and it ended up that we all stayed at the same hotel. They had bus trouble and 1 day turned into about 4 . Everyone else went home and my friend's dad stayed with us. We were polite and not the screaming type of fans so Mrs Osmond thought we were polite ( all that southern Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am I guess) and let us hang out with them. Honestly, I wasn't crazy about Marie. She was pretty spoiled back then. But everyone else was very nice. When they were back in town the next times Mrs Osmond remembered us and invited us back. Last time I saw them was 1979, the summer Randy and I got married. They came here a few years back and I didn't bother to go. Mr Osmond's death just made me think about all this.

Rebecca said...

Wow! How cool is that! Next time they are in town you should go. I bet they'd remember you. How pretty you are in those pics. lol I wish we lived closer. I'm tall too. 5'10"+ It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I loved watching Donny and Marie when i was a kid.

Carrie J said...

I don't think they would Rebecca. 29+years is a long, long time not to mention the thousands of girls, now women, who have followed them, and continue to, around the country. I'm just one of many they met.

I really like being tall. I used to hate it when I was young but wouldn't trade it now.