Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Recipe: Quiche

Crystal asked for ideas to use Spinach on her blog. Other than Spinach salad, Quiche is one of my favorite things to make with Spinach. I always seem to have the ingredients or at least a good substitute on hand.

I use regular frozen pie crust for mine and if I don't use the deep dish kind I usually get at least 4 quiche from this recipe. It really depends on how many filler ingredients you use. I can either leave these in the refrigerator for leftovers or freeze a couple for later use.

My recipe is from the cookbook More- With- Less by Doris Longacre. I love this cookbook! There are so many economical and easy to prepare recipes and many suggestions to "gather up the scraps" as Ms. Longacre calls it. Or in other words how to use any and all leftover food or ingredients. If you can get a copy I highly recommend it.

Her recipe includes a crust recipe which I am going to include, even though I use bought crust.

Mix as for Pie crust:

2c.sifted flour

1/3 t. salt

1/4 t. sugar

1/2 c. chilled margarine cut into 1/2" bits

3T. chilled vegetable shortening

5T. cold water

Roll out and fit into 2 9" pie pans. Prick pastry with fork. Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

Quiche Filling

6 eggs

2c light creme or evaporated milk (I use 1 can of evaporated milk and add just enough water to make 2 cups)

1t. salt

dash pepper

dash nutmeg

Add 2 cups grated Swiss Cheese.

Pour into pastry shells. Bake 350 for 45-50 minutes. Cool 5-10 minutes before serving.

Now, this is what I do differently than the recipe.

As I said before I use frozen pie crust. I never pre-cook them. I usually cover the edges with foil to prevent over browning. I will slice tomato thin and line the bottom of the pie shell and then add some cooked spinach and cooked onion.(This is my favorite combo) Then I sprinkle my cheese over that. I use what ever cheese I have on hand, usually Cheddar or Jack.

I've experimented with all sorts of additions from bacon, ham, leftover chicken, broccoli, spinach, and tomato. Anything that would go well with cheese usually works.

You might need to adjust the cooking time based on your oven.

2 comments:

Sonny said...

I know this is not about your recipe but....
Have you ever heard that if you boil evaporated milk in the can without opening it that it will turn into caramel? A friend of mine was talking about that they do that at some restaurant and make a Carmello pie that sells for about 5 dollars a slice but that the pie could be made at home but the boiling time has to be exact.
By the way are you feeling better today?

Carrie J said...

It isn't evaporated milk. It is Sweetened Condensed milk. Randy ldarned to do that in Australia from one of his land ladies. He made it when we were first married and I refused to go in the kitchen until it was over because I was afraid it was going to explode.
He layered his with ripe bananas and put it in a graham crust. It was good but extremely rich.