Friday, April 11, 2008

TGIF

It is Friday. The end of the week and what a week!

All 3 of our family vehicles have been in the shop in the past week. Fortunately only one is being worked on. Unfortunately it is to the tune of $1454.00. Yikes! We just spent $500.00 on it last week. It seems that the mechanic we used did more damage than good. We paid with a check and at this point it doesn't seem we have any recourse except to pay to have someone fix what he was supposed to fix and what he messed up.

We have SSI taxes from our business to pay from last year and the first quarter of this year. All due this week. We have money due from customers that is late. That would help if they would just send it.

On top of it all my 92 year old MIL fell and either broke her arm or messed up her shoulder. I called to check on her but her daughter was outside and I couldn't understand what exactly happened. I need to call back today and see if I can talk to someone else.

You know, in spite of it all, I'm kind of OK. Life goes on. The sun is shining and it is 76 degrees. I'm going to finish my work and I'm going to work in my yard. I want to plant some tomatoes and squash and I need to get the garden ready.

For those that might be wondering when I will post another "To Do" list post, I promise it will be soon. This week has just not been a good one for it.

I've been thinking a lot about the feelings of happiness and how fleeting they can be. I've come to the conclusion that we aren't meant to stay in a state of happiness . If we did, what would be the catalyst for change in our lives?

I found this quote:

Men spend their lives in anticipations,—in determining to be vastly happy at some period when they have time. But the present time has one advantage over every other—it is our own. Past opportunities are gone, future have not come. We may lay in a stock of pleasures, as we would lay in a stock of wine; but if we defer the tasting of them too long, we shall find that both are soured by age. Charles Caleb Colton

I like that. It reminds me that the time to be happy is now. Here in this place. Just as my life is. My task is to find those things in my day to day. To "lay stock of pleasure", and enjoy them now To cease a life of anticipation and live one of simple joy.

Picture: From my backyard.

No comments: