Monday, September 01, 2008

Recipe: Ratatouille

Our garden has finally received a lot of rain this past week after several weeks with almost none. As a result the tomatoes are ripening and the zucchini is putting forth it's last efforts at a crop.

This past few days has been very stressful for me. Sending my daughter off to New Orleans just in time for the hurricane, worrying about car trouble she has had and wondering if she will even have a place to work after the hurricane passes has really taken a toll on me. I didn't realize how much until yesterday. I was totally wiped out and in need of some serious comfort food. It also needed to be easy to prepare and nutritious.

With all the tomatoes and zucchini available Ratatouille was the answer.

I love this recipe because after the chopping there is nothing much to do except open the oven and give it a stir now and again. It is great served over pasta, as a side dish or by itself with some garlic bread on the side.

I prefer all fresh ingredients but do substitute garlic powder and dried herbs for the fresh. You can also use canned tomatoes in a pinch

This recipe serves about 5-6. It is easy to double and you might want to because it is great as a leftover.

Ingredients:

1 eggplant, chopped

1 medium onion, sliced or chopped

2 medium zucchini, chopped

3 cloves garlic, diced or crushed, or about 3 teaspoons garlic powder

4-5 ripe tomatoes, chopped. ( or canned tomatoes)

1/3 c. olive oil

About 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar mixed into oil

1-2 teaspoons fresh herbs, I use oregano, thyme, and a little basil or about 1/2 teaspoon dried. I sometimes just use Italian seasoning mix.

seasoned salt to taste

pepper to taste

Stir everything together and put in a 9X13 pan. Bake uncovered at 350F for about 1 hour. Open the oven every 15 minutes or so and give it a good stir.

1 comment:

Laura E. said...

Well, aren't you going to tell them that I arrived okay, and my car is better than ever, and the second storm looks like it's going to miss us?! If I could ever get out of here tonight, I could call and tell you about how good things are going and about how cool my roommate is... but instead I'm stuck at the theatre until they send me my last 2 actors to try on shoes. They were supposed to be here over an hour ago. Ugh.